Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Off The Wagon

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It's been....two three four weeks since my last real run...

...Ugh.

With the exception of maybe 3 or 4 running-walking-running miles, I have been out of commission. And yes, it feels exactly how it sounds. Gross. 

How could it be? How did this all happen? Well kids, coming down from my post-half marathon high (I have to stop milking this, its been over a month already) I have seriously fallen off the exercise wagon. Hard.

Technically speaking, I would classify my last real run as my race. That's right, my May 6th race. What started out as a little post-race reward has turned into an out of control, spiral of lazy.

It started out harmless enough. Post-race I was feeling great. Not only had I finished my third half, but I had beat my personal best time when I was expecting to do much worse. School was over. I was temporarily unemployed on vacation. I could finally relax with nothing on my plate. Life was good. I had previously read that following a long race, it is customary to take a day off for each mile completed. 13.1 miles = Roughly two weeks. Typically, I had taken a little less than two weeks, but time moved quickly and before I knew it my two week "get out of jail free" card had expired. I gave myself a serious mental pep talk that the 13th day would be the day; the day to get off my ass start moving. Back to routine, enough of the lounging, eating, drinking, and sunning (well...temporarily, of course). 

But, conveniently, things kept getting in the way of my fitness dreams. The bad weather, the beautiful weather (ironically enough), evening cocktails with friends, reality TV, the usuals. Before I knew it, 6:00pm would roll around with no run completed for the day, and I'd be headed somewhere else, making it impossible (but not really) to get a workout in. 

As you can see, I am not short on excuses for this behavior. But not-so-deep-down I know that's just what they are; excuses. I feel tired, and gross, and so not my usual Victoria Secret self. I know that four, ok FIVE, weeks ago I completed a huge fete. That a few weeks of consistent exercise and I'll be back to 5-6 miles easy. But, the inner toddler in me keeps screaming I JUST DON'T WANNA!!!!

So today, the day I swear to be the last day off my exercise wagon, I am looking for a new challenge. Something to get me going. Spinning? Swimming? A new class? Join a gym? A 5K? A 10K? Something to get me moving and give me something to look forward to in the next few months. 

So as I sit, butt planted firmly on the couch, I welcome your suggestions openly...

...just don't wake me from my Kardashian-induced TV coma.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate! My half was on June 3. I've run, uh, only TWICE since then...I signed up for a 10k (this Sunday) to get my butt back in gear, and sadly think the only way I can really get focused is to sign up for another half in the fall. Wanna do the Corning one in Nov?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This heat isn't helping either! Nothing sounds appealing to me about running in a pizza oven. I've been looking around for 10K's to ease me back into a normal running pattern so we'll see. Possible on Corning, however, the problem I always run into with that is I really want to do the Philly half which is two weeks after Corning. Will keep you posted though!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete