Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Bag Situation

If you're anything like me, leaving your apartment for sometimes 8-12 hour spans in the day, making sure you have everything you need in the morning is a major task. That's why for me, I've found an absolute necessity for my day to day life:
You may recognize it, free with your purchase of any signature VS fragrances
Hello world. I have a confession. My name is Meghan, and I am a bag lady. But not the kind of Coach toting, lunching in the park, fabulous and stylish bag lady that everyone would love to be. I'm the free large canvas tote, home to my packed lunch and stinky sneakers, kind of bag lady. The "multi-functional" bag lady if you will. 

On a typical day, my bag holds the following: 
-Lunch
-Laptop
-Gym clothes
-Sneakers
-Class materials (books, folders, notes, etc)
-Another change of shoes (winter time, seasonal addition)
-Kitchen sink (yesterday I actually had the security guard ask if I was moving in. I get it...I've got a lot of shit)

Additionally, my wonder bag moonlights as my means of transporting groceries, beer and small animals (kittens, puppies, muskrats, etc.). While I will revel in the functionality of my big bag until it falls apart at the seams, part of me does fear where this is going. One giant bag now, whats next? Am I doomed to be the Mom wearing the backpack, satchel and purse all at once? Diaper bags cris-crossed against my body? The ever dreaded fanny pack?
Hello world..
For now I've given up on the struggle of putting 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag--I just choose to put 10 pounds of shit in a 10 pound bag. I've tried to be cute, stylish and professional with my bag choices, but the truth is they don't make gi-normous bags in fashionable options for a gal like me. 

Or do they?

The future of the bag lady

1 comment: