Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Time, Time & Time

For those of us so (un)fortunate to still be students (parenthesis included because my feelings change daily), the end of a school year feels much like the end of a calendar year. The day before your last final takes on the feeling of New Years Eve and its all a big countdown to finish and attack with a fresh start. The weather is getting nicer, often times you're starting an internship or conversely switching gears from working all school year and relaxing. 

After I torched and burned anything that resembled remnants of the school year, I got thinking about where I was at this time last year. How much can happen in a year. 

At this time last year, I was enjoying my first visit from my boyfriend. Its hard to imagine that I hadn't yet made one of my three cross-country trips to see him and we had never said "I love you." Now, in three months time he'll be moving in.

At this time last year, I was graduating. Well, formally graduating. I'd graduated in December and spent five months trying to contain the spread of athlete's foot at the downtown YMCA pool by day and being a professional hostess by night at your neighborhood Chilis (really, I couldn't make this shit up). Now, I am finishing my first year of graduate school so I never have to do that again.

At this time last year I was saying goodbye to a great group of friends at school; refrigerator friends. So nervous that it would take me forever to find friends like these in my new home. Now, I'm planning a summer with great, amazing people I've met in such a short period of time. 

At this time last year I was embarking on a new summer job that, little did I know, was about as much fun as putting hot coals in your eyes (God, I hope they're reading this). Now...well, I'm  not which is good enough for me. 

At this time last year I could run five consecutive miles on the treadmill. Now, in four days I'll be completing a half marathon. 

At this time last year I was prepared for my boyfriend's early spring release date...forever. Now, I'm watching him leave again.

The planner in me naturally wonders what next year will bring. What will change?

I'll be a graduate, again (didn't I just do this)? 

I'll be living in the same city and physical structure as my boyfriend, something we've never known and one monstrous step for relationship-kind. 


I We will have a  new apartment. 

I'll be one year older. 

From there, its anyone's game. This year has taught me a lot about myself. But the number one thing its taught me? I have no idea what tomorrow, let alone next year brings. And for once, looking at all the unexpected (and unplanned for..pains me to say) great things that have come out of this year, that's just fine by me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment