Sunday, June 19, 2011

For My Dad

Happy Fathers Day, fathers! While I feel guilty that I can't be home to celebrate with my own, I've been spending all day thinking about my Dad and a few of the many, many things that make him so special. So, how fitting, a few thanks for all the fathering over the years, Dad:

Thank you Dad, for luring me out of bed morning after morning with your amazing, to die for, chocolate chip pancakes (the same ones you made for me at 4:00am when I returned from London). Whether it was the morning of a big test (brain food), or thinking of the 6 hungry girls sleeping in the attic on a given Saturday, you were always one step ahead of my stomach.
Thank you for your consistency. Prepping girls mornings when Mom was working may not have been easy, but you learned one hairstyle for us, and you stuck to it: the buffy (in layman's terms, a ponytail). Classic.
Thank you for always giving us our choice of hot dogs, waffles or spaghetti when it was Dad's night to cook dinner. You know, variety is the spice of life.

Thank you for being my pen pal when I left for college, staying true to your word to always email. Always giving me something to look forward to in my inbox and giving me someone to share my day with.

Thanks for dropping the crossword puzzle I know you were dying to finish and chatting with me on the front porch while I waited for my ride.

Thank you for making it work. Driving hours and hours so that I could come home for a weekend only to turn around to do it all over again a few days later.


Thank you for always worrying too much, telling me how proud you are of my adventurous endeavors, and for letting me live in an atmosphere I know you wouldn't touch with a 15 foot pole, just because you know how much it suits me


Most importantly thank you for setting a great example of what it means to be a great husband and a father, something your daughters (and sons) will carry with them forever.
Happy Fathers Day, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment