Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Big Move: Part 2

Part two has arrived--better late than never! Where did we leave off? Oh yeah.. here:
If this isn't the most ideal "welcome home" one could ask for, I don't know what is. Somehow I imagined it running a little smoother than this. Following the unloading of all my boyfriends shit aquired goods, and a VERY helpful 2 extra bodies to unload (shout out to my Dad and brother), this is what we were left with. We were done unloading by about 4:00pm, had been up since 5:00am, driven 6+ hours that day, literally hadn't eaten a thing all day and were unshowered (ok maybe that was just me).

I don't know if I've ever felt that exhausted. Physically, yes. But mentally and emotionally? Even more. Needless to say, nothing moved that first day. Climbing over the sofa to go up the stairs would just have to do.

Once things did start moving, it was slow to say the least. Not to mention the fact that we still had some very big items to move. Lets just say I haven't been staying on top of my push-ups. It was actually very close to this scenario:

My boyfriend and I joked throughout our trip that we just can't escape doing anything half-assed. We couldn't just do a long distance relationship, we had to do a cross-country relationship. This couldn't just be any move, it had to be a 5 day move. We couldn't just catch up with one another slowly, we had to catch up trapped in a truck cab for multiple days. We couldn't just drive home, we had to drive home in a 16 foot truck with car in tow. So in similar fashion, we couldn't just unpack and move in like normal people. No way.

What do I mean by this? Once we realized nothing was happening Wednesday,Thursday was the new goal. However, as these things tend to go, my boyfriend had orientation for the better part of the day, and we were both too pooped to make a serious dent in unpacking. And wouldn't you know, Friday we were back on the road. First to New Jersey to weigh and return our truck, and then back to upstate New York to see family and friends. Sunday again left little time to unpack, with Monday being my boyfriend's first day of school and my first day back at work after a 10 day hiatus.

I wish I could say it slows down, but it doesn't. This weekend, off to Pittsburgh for my niece's christening, next week a visit from my boyfriends Mom. As I stare at our mess of an apartment, my dreams of wall hangings and clean floors and an unblocked stairway stattered, I realize its fine. Because its been a crazy adventure, and somethings are just most important than empty boxes:



No comments:

Post a Comment